London Warren Street
07875 049 766
‘Michael Herford is a truly excellent solicitor: charismatic, energetic and engaging’ (Legal 500 2020).’
Michael specialises in criminal law and is dedicated to representing clients on a wide range of the most serious and complex cases, often involving multiple defendants, with an emphasis on serious organised crime, cyber crime and protest law. Many of the cases Michael has been instructed on have been reported in the national press over the years.
Due to his consistently accurate legal advice, he ensures the majority of investigations he is instructed to defend are discontinued. However, if his clients are charged, Michael will ensure the highest quality of representation where no stone is left unturned to seek an acquittal, or if guilty, that the minimum possible sentence is imposed by the court. As part of his meticulous preparation to present his client’s case, he will hand-pick specialist Counsel to provide the most formidable defence available.
Due to Michael’s specialist knowledge, he has been instructed to defend clients by other law firms as well as requested by clients in regard to the following: Extinction Rebellion, anti fracking protests, Anti Shell protests, Anti tax evasion protests at Fortnum & Mason, Anti Austerity; Green Peace activists protesting the drilling in the Antarctic, anti nuclear proliferation protesters, anti arms trade activists, VW emissions scandal, The ‘Alternative Royal Wedding’ Pre Crime Arrests and animal rights activists. These matters received national press coverage.
- National Crime Agency v A: Operation Subtlety: Investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigations in the United States of America and the National Crime Agency in the United Kingdom. Prosecuted by the International Justice and Organised Crime Division of the Crown Prosecution Service regarding the alleged hacking and blackmail of Apple Inc. by a member of the “Turkish Crime Family” regarding the compromise of 319,000,000 iCloud accounts in 2017. Widely reported in the international press. Suspended sentence achieved after comprehensive mitigation submitted to the court.
- R v S – Operation Rolpa: Murder, firearms possession and s18 GBH in relation to a shooting and stabbing that was widely reported in the national press. Prosecution discontinued by the Crown.
- Police (Special Operations Unit) v EA – Operation Navigate: International Money Laundering conspiracy in relation to a multi million pound complex investment fraud being investigated by multiple international agencies including Europol. Elements from Hong Kong, Columbia, Belgium, Belize, Spain, Taiwan, Cayman Islands and the UK involved. No further action taken by the authorities.
- R v L – Operation Cabrilaa: Conspiracy to supply class A drugs in a multi handed case. Violent gangs special operations police unit deployed against an alleged organised crime organisation using covert operations and technology to gather specialist intelligence. On going.
- Police v H – Operation Newes: A political candidate arrested for assisting offenders in relation to a widely reported murder in London. No further action taken by police.
- HMRC v S: £145,000,000 money laundering case involving a 6 month covert surveillance operation by specialist units of HMRC. Client’s both bailed from the police station.
- National Crime Agency v W – Operation Catalonian: Client linked to a worldwide organised cybercrime network using alleged to have blackmailed hundreds of people using cyber ‘sextortion’. On going.
- R v A & Others: – Operation Portroyal: 5 handed widely reported alleged gang related murder that was widely reported in the national press.
- R v H – Operation Falcon: Representing a Director alleged to have misappropriated hundreds of thousands of money from a well known media company. On going.
- R v W – Operation Hatria: Representing an alleged member of the “Lizard Squad” hacking group in a serious alleged possession of over 100,000 identities for the use in fraud and for possession of various data bases belonging to foreign governments and witness intimidation. Client received a non custodial sentence.
- Police v F – Operation Neatcroft: Investigation of an alleged perverting the course of justice relating to a widely reported murder in 2017. No further action taken by police.
- Police v H – Operation Jetstream: Alleged corporate espionage involving serious Computer Misuse Act offences. No charges have been brought to date.
- R v W – Operation Herbose: Intelligence led sting in conjunction with the Counter Terrorism Firearms Team on a youth alleged to have been in possession of a firearm.
- R v P & Others: – Operation Claw: 14 handed widely reported large scale alleged violent disorder that resulted in an attempted murder outside of Sugar Hut Club (as made famous by the TV show “The Only Way is Essex”).
- National Crime Agency v P – Operation Nasicorn: National Crime Agency prosecution into the breach and theft of 3’s data base. Successful defence of £500,000 Compensation Order. Costs successfully claimed from the Crown.
- R v U: A matter involving an AK47, M70 B1 assault rifle, Mac 10 sub machine gun and flash hider.
- R v D & Others – Operation Slade: Conspiracy (8 defendants) to supply class A drugs after a 6 month covert police operation. This case involved cross boarder serious organised crime.
- R v D & Others – Operation Newlodge: Perverting the Course of Justice linked to a widely reported murder in London. Client was acquitted after a two week trial at the Old Bailey whilst the other co defendants were imprisoned.
- Police v P – Operation Thistle: Multimillion pound international cyber fraud. No further action taken by police.
- R v C: Alleged attempted murder by a music artist who featured on MTV and other media had his charges dropped pre trial after submissions to the Crown.
- Police (Special Operations Unit) v W – Operation Navigate: International Money Laundering conspiracy in relation to a multi million pound complex investment fraud being investigated by multiple international agencies including Europol. Elements from Hong Kong, Columbia, Belgium, Belize, Spain, Taiwan, Cayman Islands and the UK involved. No charges to date.
- Police v A: Alleged kidnap. No further action taken against police.
- Police v O: Representing an International U21’s footballer accused of rape. No charges bought to date. On going.
- Police v C: Alleged s18 GBH with intent following an altercation at a major sporting event. No further action taken by the Police.
- Police v S: Armed police conducted an operation to investigate an allegation of aggravated burglary, sexual touching and theft. No further action taken by police.
- Police v B: Perverting the course of justice. After representations made, no further action taken by police
- Police v A: An alleged rape against a vulnerable client. No further action taken by police.
- Police v L: Attempted murder. No further action taken by police.
- Police v K: Alleged armed robbery. No further action taken by police.
- Police v C: – National Crime Agency intelligence led operation into serious online sexual offences.
- R v A: Assault & Revenge: Client charged with the unusual charge of Revenge. After robust legal arguments submitted, the client acquitted in minutes.
- Police v H: Political candidate investigated regarding multiple serious sexual offences. No further action taken by the police.
- R v LS: – Grievous Bodily Harm with intent regarding a multi handed assault and stabbing.
- K: Crisis management: Advice regarding a high profile Saudi official being blackmailed. Matter successfully resolved.
- Police v S: Grievous Bodily Harm with intent. No further action taken.
- Police v X: An allegation of a £750,000 fraud made by a company against a consultant. No further action taken by police.
- R v H: Possession of a firearm. Successfully arguing ‘exceptional circumstances’ to achieve a non custodial sentence.
- R v A: Attempted Murder after an incident involving a stabbing. Client successfully bailed. Widely reported in the national press.
- R v P – Operation Bellona: Intelligence led operation into the alleged possession of hundreds of indecent images and videos.
- R v P: Elite close protection body guard accused of assault. Successful appeal.
- Police v S: Alleged rape. No further action taken by police.
- Police v G: Alleged conspiracy to supply class a drugs and possession of class a drugs. No further action taken by police.
- Police v O: £82,000 cheque fraud. No further action taken by police.
- Police v B: Alleged s18 Grievous Bodily Harm with intent. No further action taken by police
- Police v P: An allegation of historic sexual offences. No further action taken by police.
- R v Z: Alleged people trafficking from Belgium. Client acquitted at trial.
- Police v O: Alleged rape. No further action taken by police.
“Michael Herford is a truly excellent solicitor: charismatic, energetic and engaging” Legal 500 2020
“[My]Solicitor Mr. Michael Herford was extremely diligent. He came across as an individual full of energy, confidence, very knowledgeable, very polite, approachable and ultimately a person one can trust to legally defend oneself. [A] person one feels would do everything possible to mitigate the magnitude of your case. I would highly recommend Michael as a solicitor to anyone.” Client testimonial November 2019
“Michael was my absolute hero at a very worrying time. Always at the end of the phone, he went above and beyond”. Client testimonial October 2019
“A very undisputed excellent and professional solicitor. Michael is one of the nicest people I have ever come across in my entire life. He handled my case and gave self explanatory advice both on paper and in phone conversation. I will give ***** stars. Thanks for your excellent service!” Client testimonial August 2019
“Michael Herford was the perfect representation that I could have asked for. He kept me updated every step of the way and reassured me when I needed it. He also spotted things that other solicitors had missed and I would not have been in the situation that I am now [case dismissed], without him.” Client testimonial August 2019
“Michael Herford, represented me and he is absolutely brilliant. He is a great professional. Great customer service. I couldn’t have asked for more. Thank you for been there and for going the extra mile for me.” Client testimonial July 2019
“I would like to say thank you to Michael Herford for his amazing service. I cannot put it in to words of how smooth he is and how much pride and passion he has in his field!!. Thanks star!” Client testimonial July 2019
“I cannot tell you grateful I am to Michael Herford for resolving my case. From the beginning to the end I knew I was dealing with a smart and intelligent solicitor from a reputable company that knew what he was doing and wasn’t going to promise more than he could deliver, which was a lot. Client care was amazing, I felt reassured all the way through a very difficult case that required somebody experienced to tell me everything would be ok at times when I doubted the outcome. I valued the directness and no-nonsense approach and feel like my money was well spent. I would highly recommend Michael for his kindness and generosity as well as sharp legal acumen and ability to write compelling letters. You are in safe hands.” – Client testimonial June 2019
”I was absolutely overwhelmed with the support and precision Michael Herford provided. Utter perfection!” – Client testimonial May 2019
“Mr Michael Herford was excellent from the very beginning. Whilst other solicitors didn’t seem to take the case seriously, he understood the impact and the implication it had on me, my professional career and my family. He went well beyond what I would have expected from a solicitor, guiding me through every step, being responsive and compassionate and, first of all, very professional. One could see he does a job that is also his passion, and he does it very well! You are in good hands if he’s dealing with your case.”- Client testimonial March 2019
“The service I received from Michael was exceptional. My solicitor was more like a mother too me, during this stressful time, and I don’t think I would have made it through if it was not for his constant support. He was always on hand to talk, and if not he always returned my calls. 5 stars for going above and beyond duty. Thank you!” – Client testimonial March 2019
”I would highly recommend Michael Herford. He was reliable, professional, efficient and reasonable priced. He left no stone unturned. He answered emails promptly and always returned my calls. He look the time to explain the process to me and guided me through every step. His instincts/experience where 100% correct and I felt confident in following his advice. Even if we lost I would write the same review, Outstanding’!” – Client testimonial 11th February 2019
”Michael was great and very helpful. Many thanks for all your help and support.” – Client testimonial 28th January 2019
”The service was excellent. Michael Herford was the solicitor who represented and he was superb from the very first phone call, everything was handled superbly and with extreme professionalism. As a client he made me feel important and treated my case as very important even though I am sure he has much bigger cases to handle. His attendance at the Police station for my interview was exceptional and he made me feel comfortable and at ease facing a situation I had never faced before. The outcome was as he predicted and his contribution to my mental state while investigating was legendary. I will always recommend Michael to any friend or colleague who could encounter something similar. A HUGE THANK YOU TO MICHAEL” – Client testimonial 21st January 2019
”On behalf of me and my family I thank Michael Herford for the support he has given me during this difficult time which has also allowed me to come to terms with some personal issues. We praise you for the compassion and empathy you have shown, we hope that this continued level of commitment provides great success within your career.” – Client testimonial, January 2019
“We contacted Michael Herford and he saw me with my son the next day. Very responsive and professional. He was also able to calm my 16 year old son down which was not an easy task. Very happy with the service.” – Client testimonial, 26th November 2018
“I would like to thank Michael Herford for his amazing help and support in dealing with my case. He did an amazing job for me and I have no doubt that the outcome of the case would have been totally different had we not used his services. I would have no hesitation in recommending Michael to anyone.” – Client testimonial, 25th September 2018
“Listened to the needs of the client and did a top service – couldn’t get any better. Mike and the team cannot be faulted.” – Client testimonial, 17th September 2018
“I can’t thank you enough Mr Michael Herford for all you did for me, you worked so hard and gave the very best advice throughout my case. Michael was quick, efficient and knowledgeable as well as always being professional, easy to talk to, approachable and friendly. I felt like Michael had my best interests at heart rather than someone who was being dealt with just to bring in a fee. I will recommend him to other friends for any issues in the future.” – Client testimonial, 4th September 2018
“One good turn deserves another! Really and truly, the service that I received from Mr Michael Herford was without any shred of the doubt the best, right through the processes, including the interview under caution on the “D” day. It was worthwhile working with Michael and also knowing that he is naturally intelligent and an accommodating young man. I would also like to reiterate that, since the world is obviously full of violence and injustices, the world too needs someone like Michael Herford because he is more than capable to make a difference in our mundane world as it was in my case. I will really and truly recommend [Michael] to any potential clients that are in dire need of a thoroughbred law firm.” – Client testimonial, 31st August 2018
“Excellent service from start to finish. I would definitely recommend this service to everybody. Michael was excellent, thanks for all your help.” – Client testimonial, 31st August 2018
“My solicitor Michael Herford provided me with an exceptional standard of professional support and help recently. He went above and beyond to ensure I receive the best possible outcome in my case. Michael really took the stress off me at this very difficult time. He advised and guided me through the whole process with empathy and compassion. All communication was clear and he always responded promptly to any concerns I had. Also kept me constantly updated which was very reassuring. Thanks to his expertise, patience and diligence we achieved a very positive outcome in my case. I am incredibly grateful to him and can honestly say I could not have asked for a better solicitor.” – Client testimonial, 22nd April 2018
“From the first time I spoke with Michael Herford, he made me feel so at ease. He was extremely friendly and I had no issue with approaching him during the entire length of the process , he always made me feel that my case mattered and he was happy to help. Michael did a very good job communicating with me and explaining the details of the case and possible outcomes and always provided me with regular updates.He had so much patience and I never left a conversation feeling confused. Michael did his very best to be on top of things, even when the case took place over the Christmas and New year holidays. It was his priority to keep things moving and get the best result.I was extremely happy to have Michael representing me and I would definitely recommend them as I was so happy with their service and got the result I wanted.” – Client testimonial, 23rd February 2018
“My solicitor Michael Herford was excellent. He was very professional and accessible throughout the case and was very helpful and reassuring from the start at a very stressful time after allegations from my previous business partner. I am very glad that I chose to use Cartwright King’s services and I am very pleased with the outcome. I would fully recommend their services and especially Michael, I could not have asked for a better solicitor to represent me.” – Client testimonial, 20th February 2018
”The service from Michael Herford was outstanding in every aspect.” – Client testimonial, November 2017
“From the very beginning to the end, my solicitor Michael Herford has been very professional, understanding, hardworking and helpful. He has gone extra miles to make our case stand out. His support has been very useful in our difficult period and we knew that we could count on him.” – Client testimonial, November 2017
“My solicitor was Michael Herford. I felt he went above and beyond. He is a brilliant solicitor who is very good at what he does. I must say, I’ve been very happy with the services provided by Michael.” – Client testimonial, November 2017
“Michael Herford- Top solicitor!” – Client testimonial, October 2017
“Very, very happy with the service. Easy access to a Solicitor. Swift response and advice to any query or concerns I may have. Able to contact Michael when needed with any concerns I may have. Would definitely recommend to family and friends who are in need of a solicitor. Would gladly use [Michael] again without any hesitation on my part.” – Client testimonial, October 2017
“Thank you so much Michael. You’ve more than exceeded my expectations, I really appreciate all your time and effort in fighting for me. I can say that Michael was the only one that listened to me when no one cared about my situation. I have no hesitation in recommending Michael.” – Client Testimonial, September 2017
“Highly committed, reliable and on top of that a perfectionist on giving legal advice! Thank you Micheal for your service.” – Client Testimonial, June 2017
“Top solicitor- very on the ball – felt in safe hands.” – Client Testimonial, April 2017
“Michael Herford made me feel so comfortable from our first chat over the phone and when we met in person I knew I had made the right decision. On the day of the court Michael proved my innocence and I was found not guilty, all charges were dropped and justice happened. In my opinion Michael Herford was my angel, who helped the truth to come out.” – Client Testimonial, March 2017
Member of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association
Member of The Law Society
Member of the Interlaw Diversity Forum
Member of the Asian Lawyers Association