Driving Disqualification – Is it possible to get your licence back sooner?

November 16, 2017

In some cases, yes. Sometimes it is possible to contact the court and apply for a driving disqualification period to be reduced. This is only possible if your circumstances have changed since you were disqualified. Most courts do not view driving disqualifications as ‘genuine mistakes’. Instead, they believe that the person was more than aware that they were breaking the law. Again, this does depend on the circumstances of the situation. If a court believes that a person is truly remorseful, they can sometimes introduce advanced driving courses, as some specific rehabilitation courses can help to reduce a driving ban. In order for one of these rehabilitation courses to be considered, you will require a referral by the magistrate of the Court. The shortened driving ban will also depend on the length of disqualification you were originally given.

Driving Disqualification – What are the rules?

You can ask the court to reduce your disqualification period after you’ve been banned from driving for:

  • 2 years – if the disqualification was for more than 2 but fewer than 4 years
  • Half the disqualification period – if it was for between 4 and 10 years
  • 5 years – if the disqualification was for 10 years or more

If you were banned because of a second drink-driving offence, you can still apply. However this does come with additional complications.  Another point that must be considered is the reason why you would like to shorten your ban in the first place. It could be for reasons where you might need a vehicle on a daily basis for caring responsibilities, or even an employment opportunity.

How we can help you

We can assist in preparing and presenting your application to the court. Our experienced team have significant advocacy expertise and are best placed to secure the return of your driving licence.

If you would like to discuss this with us, please contact alia@tuckerssolicitors.com or on 0161 233 4321

Departments involved: